Friday, May 23, 2008

The Hat

Karen and I went out to Tammy Tadd’s quilt shop a couple of weekends ago. It’s always such a joy to go there. It’s happy. I, and several others, refer to it as the happiest place on earth. It truly is too!

I was on a mission. I bought some black and white fabric to go with the samurai fish / sushi fabric that I already had to make into placemats. Isn't is great fabric? It makes me smile.

Since we were already out that way, we decided to check out a store in downtown DeKalb that Tammy has talked about on her blog. It’s called Moxie. It’s actually two sister stores. One that’s more gifty, and one that has gift items on the first floor and the coolest vintage stuff on the second floor. The vintage stuff is fantastic! It’s all very clean, and doesn’t have that musty smell that most vintage things have. I couldn’t resist these fabrics:

I think I’ll fussy cut out the bunnies and appliqué them onto bags. The fabric is actually a French pleated curtain that’s in great shape, so I feel a little guilty about cutting them apart. I think the knight fabric is totally 60’s, don’t you? Something about it reminds me of the Monkees, and I love the Monkees!

Then there’s The Hat. I love The Hat. I describe it as Audrey Hepburn in A Day at the Races. I was trying it on at the store as the woman who was working came out of the back room. She exclaimed “Are you getting The Hat? I love The Hat! I just put it out an hour ago.” Then she told another lady working there that I was going to buy The Hat. She said she had planned on buying it too. Oh well, it’s mine now!


My friend Amy asked me what I was going to do with it. I told her that I think I may just wear it around the house every day because wearing it makes you feel so pretty and sophisticated. I think I might wear it to my cousin’s wedding or rehearsal dinner. It’s in the Rose Garden at the St.Louis Botanic Gardens, so I think it’s appropriate. I’m not sure that it goes with my dress though, so I’ll have to see.

I took The Hat over to Pitty Pat’s the other night for dinner. We took turns wearing it around her house. When her daughter came home, we made her wear it too. Pitty Pat also thought the knight fabric was cool, though her daughter looked at it suspiciously. She’s in her early 20’s, so I don’t think it resounded with her the way it did with Pitty Pat and I.

I also got this adorable seal planter.

I was looking for a planter for my baby tears plant, and this is perfect! Isn’t he cute? He reminds me of that children’s book, Sammy the Seal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I LOVE that hat!!! You should have worn it to my wedding at some point! I have like 8 vintage hats but I never wear any of them because they either look retarded on me or they're too small for my head so I need to find a way to display them!