Sunday, August 30, 2009

3 Julies

I can't say enough about everyone's comforting words about my Bug. I would email each person back, but that would mean even more tears as I write. Your words have really meant a lot to me. Thank you all so very much.
Now onto happier topics.
I went to see Julia and Julie or is it Julie and Julia Wednesday night at a fancy schmancy new Gold Class Cinemas theater in Barrington with my sister (Julie) and my friend Emily. I have to say, it was great!
The movie was really good, and the theater was fantastic! Meryl Streep was wonderful as Julia Child. I wasn't sure how she would be, but let's face it, the woman is an amazing actress. All of the leads were great. Although the Child's "getting it on" scenes did make both Emily and I say "ewwww". It's kind of like thinking about your parents having nooky. Just wrong, don't ever want to go there. But if their love was as great as it's depicted in the movie, we should all be so lucky to have that in our lives. Julia was the first real celebrity chef, at least at my house. I loved her shows on PBS. I especially liked the show she did with Jacques Pepin. He's still one of my all time favorites as well. And her spirit and fearlessness is an inspiration. I'm going to have to read the book of her life now.
At first glance, the theater experience seems to be pricey, but when you think about it, it's really rather reasonable. (A former boss of me and good friend, Eileen explained this all to me one night over dinner, and being a finance person at heart, she can run those numbers!)
It ended up being $50 for a cooking demo, the movie, dinner, dessert and two glasses of a good Shiraz and a Julie and Julia apron. The seats in the theater are these amazing orange barkaloungers, that have good lumbar support, headrests and even recline! And if you take the online survey you get an additional $15 coupon for food or drinks. The lobby in the place was really nice, more of a lounge really. There was a modern fireplace, 2 bars, tables, comfy chairs, couches...the whole bit. If you were to do dinner and a movie, it would probably cost you the same or more, and you have to sit in those icky chairs and listen to obnoxious people and kids through the whole thing. People at this movie were too busy eating to be obnoxious and teenagers aren't going to pay that much money for a movie.
This movie in particular is a good one to have dinner during. About 5 minutes into it Emily leaned over and said "when are we going to eat, I'm hungry already!" The food was really good. I had an appetizer portion of cold cucumber soup (one of the demos), arrancini w/bruschetta and mozzarella inside, beef satay (the beef was totally tender and juicy), a side of hericot beans, mushroom and tomatoes (which was FANTASTIC) then for dessert, truffles (also a demo) and Langue de Chat cookies. (did I spell that right?)
We all decided we would definitely go back.
And as an added bonus, there's a Sur La Table in the mall there too!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm so glad someone else thought they sexual comments between the Child's made someone else besides me say eww! I loved the movie and the entire time I kept leaning over and telling Chris that I was hungry.

My dad told me about that movie theatre and it sounded cool- quite the experience! Glad you girls had fun.