Friday, June 27, 2008

If it's not Scottish.....

It's Crap!

I love Scotland. Anyone who knows me knows that. I love everything about it. Every year they have the Highland Games down in Oak Brook. I usually go with my friend Amy, who I went to Scotland with the first time. Sometimes the hubbies come along, sometimes we are left to oogle men in kilts on our own. This year the hubby and I went, but didn't get in touch with Amy in time so we missed seeing her. The hubby isn't contented to sit and watch the actual games as I am. I mean really, does it get any better than Tank-like men in kilts tossing a telephone pole with the bag pipes playing in the backround? I think not. Yet he'll watch the tedium that is baseball for hours on end. Go figure. I wasn't able to get photos of the caber toss, but I did get the sheaf toss. The contestants use a pitchfork to throw the 20lb bail over a very tall pole.

This year the weather was lovely so we took the girls, Bug and Daisy, with us. They love the games. They get soooo much attention. We found out that despite being a Golden Retriever, a Scottish breed, Daisy is afraid of the bag pipes and drums. Bug doesn't mind them unless they are between her and food.
Speaking of food, there's only one place to eat. Well, there' s really a lot of places, but only one that I need. Winston's.

They have bridies (ground meat and spices in a puff pastry), sausages, meat pies, sausage rolls, fish and chips, the whole shabang.

They also have ale, not beer. And they do a whisky tasting. I'm told that Amy's hubby did the whisky tasting and was very happy the rest of the day.

The hubby only wanted to stay a couple of hours, so much to my dismay we left early. We totally missed the haggis eating contest and the haggis hurling! The haggis hurling is relatively new to the games here. It's a womens event that while balancing on a half barrel, they have to throw a 1lb frozen haggis as far as they can. How funny is that? I'm just glad the haggis is frozen. Just thinking about a splatted haggis is gross

They used to have a Border Collie sheep herding demo, but haven't the last couple of years. I'm not sure why they don't do it any more, it was great fun. Bug went ballastic over the sheep. I had to turn her away from them while I watched.

The bird of prey tent is always interesting too. I think they are just the coolest birds. This white barn owl was not happy that Bug and Daisy were in it's vacinity. It kept bobbing it's head and watching them. I thought the little fluffy owl was the cutest thing! I thought of Pigwidgeon in Harry Potter. I think it looks like a Pigwidgeon, don't you?

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I just wanted you to know that the comment "I mean really, does it get any better than Tank-like men in kilts tossing a telephone pole with the bag pipes playing in the backround?" has made it into my favorite quotes on my Facebook page! Next year let me know- I've never been to anything like that, and would like to see it!

the family f said...

They *did* have the sheep-herding this year. Except this time, after they finished with the sheep....THEY HERDED DUCKS. It was awesome.

I got some great shots of the caber tossing and should have them up tonight. I'll let you know when they're ready. Let's just say I am totally in love with the zoom lens on Bill's camera.