Sunday, November 29, 2009

Dumbo's Bath

I finished a baby quilt for the soon to be granddaughter of a friend of mine. The mom-to-be loved Dumbo as a child and had Dumbo on the shower invitations. I took one of those images and blew it up to extra large sized, traced it onto freezer paper and replicated it in Minky and Chenille.


During my retreat weekend, I made the blocks in a stack and whack, crazy block style. I originally made 25 blocks, and sewed them together in a 5x5 setting. Then I put Dumbo in the middle and he disappeared! The blocks were just too busy. I went into my stash and found a fabulous Moda plaid from a couple of years ago, and it was perfect, but I didn't have enough, so I decided on the pink hearts to border it to make it the correct size. I had to rip out the 9 middle blocks. Jennie suggested that I use them on the back, which I agreed would be a great idea. I surounded the blocks with a pink gingham minky and now the quilt is reversible!


There's nothing more fun then ripping out 3/4 of the quilt you just assembled! Oh well, it just confirms my favorite quilt saying "it's not a mistake, it's a design opportunity." I love how it turned out. I think it's just the cutest and has a lot of great texture for the baby.


4 comments:

Jennie said...

It turned out SO cute!!

Ann Champion said...

I love the way the final project turned out! Very clever of you to enlarge the image.
This is truly a reversible quilt. The cozy side will be extra nice in cool weather..and the cotton side will be cooler when the weather gets warm. I'm sure it will be well loved! :)

Sophie's Creative Corner said...

Looks fantastically adorable! Great job!

PaigeAlaine said...

Wow, Dumbo came alive with your pink line quilting! It is an adorable quilt and all that great texture! Love the back too!