Sunday, July 19, 2009

Big Disappointment

If you haven't already guessed by the title of my blog, I love the Harry Potter books, therefore the hubby and I went to see the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince movie Friday night. As Jennie's sister told her, basically the characters are the same, but that's about it. The hubby's comment was that there really wasn't much to the movie, to which my reply was "that's because they left out everything that was important in the book!" (He hasn't read any of the books, so he has no clue).

I just don't understand why they make up things to put in the movie that never happened in the books when they leave out information that is critical to the conclusion. They only went into two of the memories that Dumbledore collected, didn't go over the horcruxes he needed to find, and left out crucial info about Dumbledore's death, not to mention a ton of other things that are really, really important. I just don't know how the producer's and directors can screw up such well read and beloved books. It's a travesty. Really.
There were some cute parts of the movie. On Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me! they described it as "more like Lord of the Rings with hormones", which I thought was pretty funny and accurate. The way the students all interacted, as well, such teenagers, really brought back high school memories. Ah, the drama of being 16! The acting of all of the 'kids' in the movie continues to improve with each movie. Jim Broadbent was great as Slughorn, although not fat enough. Two standouts were Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy and Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood. They both did a great job with their characters.

Overall, I would recommend that if you love the books, don't bother spending your money on going to the movie and wait until it comes out on dvd.

1 comment:

Ashley Everett said...

I haven't seen the movie yet and I've been discouraged by everyone who has seen it. I get so mad when they screw up the movies; your little rant on that took the words out of my mouth.

This is my favorite Harry Potter book, so I know ahead of time I'll be disappointed. Nothing can be better than the book, but to leave out all the crucial information and just add in random scenes! There is no excuse! If I was JK Rowling I would raise a huge fuss fit.