Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Mail Week!

Well, I must say, yesterday was a banner day! Not only did management let us go home early, but it was a good mail day too! And that's on top of the good mail day I had earlier in the week.

The wonderful ladies at Amy Butler sent me her 2 new patterns to try out! How spectacular is that?
(As a bonus, the little envelope poking out underneath is a birthday gift from Aveda, a small bottle of their custom scent perfume and a double points certificate for their point system. I'm saving my points for a weekend at an Aveda spa.)

I had never made a 3d sewing project before I was inspired to try my hand at the Madison Bag. (I don't count the rose pink teddy bear that I made in 8th grade home ec class that Donna always said looked more like a mole than a bear).

The instructions for the Madison bag were great, even though I had no clue what I was doing. I've made something like 5 of them now.
I'm very interested in trying out the tunic in particular, since I've been eyeing my fabric in a different light lately. I keep looking at it and instead of thinking quilt, bag or purse (almost always in that order) I've been thinking, hmmmm, wouldn't that make a nice skirt or dress? It's super cute as a dress, but I have a feeling that it won't be as cute on me as it is on all those skinny and tall ladies in all the ads for it. I'm thinking that maybe my friend Liz will be my guinea pig on this one. She's tall and skinny like the models.

The real test for me will be the zipper in both patterns. I've never done a zipper, and to be honest, they scare the bejeezes out of me. If Amy can talk me through a zipper, then it will be a miracle! The bag also has piping, so that will be another first for me.

One of the things I really love about Amy Butler's patterns and products is that she strives to continually find a way to be more eco-sensitive. Her patterns are all printed without the use of chlorine and on 100% post consumer waste paper. She also usually forgos the plastic hang bag too.
The other good mail this week was another fun Amy Butler product! I was generously offered the opportunity to check out some of her newly designed organic bedding. The nice folks at Welspun sent me an embroidered duvet from the Modena line and an embroidered pillow from the Bucharest line.
I have to say, they are totally gorgeous, but did we expect anything less from Amy Butler? The fabrics are super soft, and I'll bet they become even softer with washing. They are also colored with a low impact dye, according to Amy's website. They are made overseas, but really, so is most of the bedding that is available at local and online retailers.
The photos of the Modena duvet don't show you that the flowers are really two different colors.The flowers at the top and bottom are a clear, bright pink, but the flowers throughout the middle are more of a clear lavender. It's a beautiful combination. And the best part is that all of the bedding collections are available at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
I think I may need to go get a couple of these Bucharest pillows. Doesn't it look fabulous against my Serenity Valley quilt?
Well, I'm off to pick some strawberries, have a great Independence Day everyone!

1 comment:

Ashley Everett said...

I am so jealous of all the booty you got in the mail. There's nothing better than great mail and not getting bills haha
I checked out the Amy Butler new bedding online and I gotta say it is too cute!!!