Friday, May 14, 2010

Gardening

I started planting seriously this week.
I was able to plant 4 different blueberry bushes (2 early producers, 2 late producers), a raspberry bush, 3 tomato plants, 1 orange pepper and many, many seeds before the rain two nights ago.
I bought all of the seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds out of Missouri. It's an interesting store. The man who started it began it out of his parent's house when he was just 17 years old! It's grown exponentially every year and now they have a whole pioneer village thing where they have festivals, an apothocary, a mercantile and a natural food restaurant.  I'd like to take a road trip there sometime.
I love the names on my carrots:
That's right, I have Obtuse, Cosmic and Atomic carrots!

I still have my lettuce and a multitude of radishes yet to plant, but the weather got all rainy, so that will have to wait until after the Husky Hike on Saturday. I don't mind the rain, but the Husky Hike is a ton more fun in nice weather. And it will be especially fun this year because my cousins Ashley and Chris just moved into the area at the beginning of the month and will be joining us for the hike! Yeah!!!
I usually take Robbie with to the hike, even though he's not a Husky, but I don't know, his privilages may be revoked after what happened the last time he went to a Husky hike.  Of course, this time he will be under my supervision, so that would make all the difference in the world. Still, I'm not sure that I'm willing to risk it just yet.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Wow you are a regular Ms. Greenjeans. I thought I was doing well ordering my tomatoes and peppers from Burpee and planting some beets and radish seeds in a barrel. Now I feel like a slug.
Hope to taste some Cosmic carrots in the future.