Friday, September 10, 2010

Where did the month go?!?!?

I've been crazy  busy lately, so I haven't had much time to do the blog thing. I'm hoping to catch up on blogging and sewing in the next couple of weeks.
I've been slacking off in the sewing dept too. I haven't done squat about starting those 4 baby quilts I need to make.
I've been making Sweet Simple bags instead. I've been in need of instant gratification projects, and that bag is totally instant gratification!
Of course I totally forgot to take a picture of them before bringing them into Tammy Tadd Designs for sample display, so I'll have to show you all them this weekend.

Here's some fun I've had in the last month:
 I found this package on my front porch when I got home from work a few weeks ago. I totally wasn't expecting it, so receiving a surprise package was really exciting. The Royal Mail postage could only mean one thing, some lovely things from my friend Anne in the UK!
Yup, I was right! Great tea and sweets, what more could a girl want? Other than Colin Firth squished in the box too, not much.
My favorite tea, Whittards! I want to use the herbals to make jam and sorbets and tasty treats like that. And Anne sent me a lovely new white tea to try out. Yum!
I ate the Aero bar right away (it was an 'I need chocolate' kind of day that day) and used the Lush Emotibomb in the shower the very next morning. It smelled great! If you haven't experienced Lush, you should. The products are fantastic and the literature hysterical. They are all over the world these days. I first discovered them in Edinburgh years ago where I purchased the Buffy the Backside Slayer exfoliating bar. 
The green tub contains mint Humbugs. I just love that name. It sounds just so British to me. And since I l.o.v.e. chocolate mint, I love the Humbugs too.

Emily and I went the Bucktown Art Fair the Sunday before last. It was a wretched hot day, so I whined a lot. It's not pretty, but it's the truth, I'm a big whiner when it gets over 82 degrees F.  I tried not to spend much, and did a pretty good job of it. I only bought a ceramic soap dish and tumbler for my bathroom and a couple of necklace charms from Soda by Amy. Totally cute! Of course I didn't take a photo of those either. Bad blogger Vicki!

There are a ton of garage sales around the art fair, so we stopped at a couple of those. I did take a photo of what I bought at the garage sale though.
Check these babies out!3 vintage enameled light shades in primo condition for a mere $20!! Score!!! According to the lady who I bought them from they are from the 1940's, but I have no clue if that's true or not.
After the fair we went to dinner at Terragusto, which I highly recommend. They make their own bread and pasta. It's heaven. I did take pictures of the amazing food, but they are on my phone, which is in the car and I'm too lazy to run out and get it right now, so I'll show those at a later date.
I also made wine slushies, completely by accident, but it was a disgustingly hot day, so it worked out just fine.
Lesson learned, don't forget you put a bottle of wine in the freezer!

Ages and ages ago I went to a massive rummage sale in the North Shore area (where the wealthier citizens of the Chicagoland area live) and found the most fabulous vintage linens and fabric. It's all pristine too, no staining or rips. I was told they get rid of the ones that aren't in great condition.
We figured since we got there at 7am and it had been raining torrentially for 24 hours and the streets were flooded that it wouldn't be too crowded. Boy were we wrong! Apparently people come by the bus load for this sale! It was worth getting up at 4:30 in the morning to go though, since I found fabulous fabric treasures for cheap.
Some lovely vintage sheets:
Can you believe this barkcloth?!?! I think I see bags and/or purses in it's future. 
Tartan wool, I'm in heaven! That thing at the top is a sleeve presser ham.
These cute animals are from a set of Bozo sheets. I'm not a fan of clowns. I, like Kramer, find them creepy, but I grew up watching the Bozo Show on Channel 9, and have a soft spot for him.
And because I love all things autumnal I couldn't resist this cornucopia table cloth:
The best part of the trip? I spent a total of $35 including the entrance fee and was at work by 9:30 in the morning. Oh, and I ran into a guy I went to high school with. He was one of the police officers guarding the check cashing station. Go figure.
Well, that's all for now. I need to get back to sewing. Bags and quilts to make and time is a ticking!


No comments: